Saturday, February 4, 2012

Let's get started to adapt to this ever changing world!

   I'm writing this post to respond to the video 21st Century Education in New Brunswick, Canada. and the video RSA Animate-Changing Education Paradigms

   I have to say that 21st Century Education in New Brunswick, Canada is a really brainstorming and inspiring video to me!! This video makes me think about how dramatically this world has been changed. Indeed, it is a decade ago that I sent a film out to have it developed. When I was in elementary school, I used the pay phone to remind my parents that they forgot to pick me up... However, today, nearly every elementary students got a cell and could contact to their parents or friends just any time they want. Indeed, this video makes me think a lot.

   Just as the question raised in the video that nearly everything around us has been through a big change, what about education? Frankly speaking, before watching this video I don't have much clues about how this online-course would arm me with what kind of knowledge. I just didn't see the future of education career and I just stayed in the circles which has been filled by much old-fashioned and obsolete teaching method knowledge. After watching this video, I realized that the world is a ever changing place and in recent years, it is changing more and more fast. We should get students' attention and try hard to adapt to this changing world and what we can teach has to change as well. Just as the video says, "we must keep pace and stay relevant to keep students engaged."
 
   After watching the video RSA Animate-Changing Education Paradigms. This video has given me much insight about education. The quote "Our education is anesthetizing the students" really shocked me. It's like a wake-up call to me. Nowadays there are way too many distracts like many hi-tech kits, e.g. iPhone, computer games, TV series etc. Compared with these fun and interesting distracts, how can we make our class fun enough to attract our students and at the same time teach them efficiently. What's more, the school is still running just like a factory. "We put the students through the education system by age group." Truly, why do we do that? Can we put more focus on developing students' divergent thinking? These are really worth thinking about questions. Encouraging us teacher-to-be students to have a second thoughts on the questions. At the same time, I'm wondering that if I originally had some creative talents but had been suppressed by traditional teaching method and I myself by no means want to see this kind of situation happen again on my students.

   I will encourage students to think out of the box and always trying to keep pace with the changing world in order to make my class more vivid and interesting.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Some teachers haven't gotten the message yet that we are in the midst of an education revolution, but your have!